Old September 6th 04, 03:20 PM
Richard Bell

In article ble.rogers.com>,
Frank > wrote:

> wrote in message
. com...
>> then why not make all cars in production rear-engined,
>> rear-wheeled
>> cars? I hate RWD. It's slightly less stable and less easy to
>> control
>> to me.

>I used to think so as well. I had a RWD 200 SX Turbo with "posi"
>and in winter, it was baaaad. It was amazing over dry pavement:
>it cornered better than my FWD car, but that one was a POS so I
>do not know if it was the car, or the RWD. However, it is winter
>6 months a year and because of it, I swear never ever get another
>RWD. I now have an acura, which is a FWD car and I am very
>pleased with it.

I prefer RWD cars for precisely the reason that you dislike them.
I actually apreciate the odd handling characteristics of RWD. The
reason is actually simple: While the FWD car has an absolute advantage,
the RWD car will give a warning, so you can back off before hitting
the ragged edge of the envelope. The FWD car will feel rock solid; until,
you pushed it too far and lost it.

I practice skid recovery whenever conditions allow me to throw my car out
of control, so YMMV.