Old July 14th 05, 05:09 PM
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"John S." > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Maybe it is more my imagination, but the southern California freeways
> seem to fly...75 and 80mph seems to be the norm on visits out there.
> The 10, 405, 5 it doesn't seem to matter...if they can go that fast
> they will with only 2 car lengths between.

It isn't you imagination.

Unfortunately, when conditions do not cause traffic jams and the freeways
are free-flowing... 75mph to 80mph is the norm at the LOW end of the speed
violations. The high end often exceeds 100mph.

The left lane is often bunched up with less than 1 car length between cars,
very dangerous for those in the #1 lane and in the #2 lane. Of course, to
add to the mess, often the #3 and #4 lanes have big rigs.

Interstingly enough, the local talk radio, KNX 1070 AM, reports traffic
every six minutes... and at least one new accident will be reported every
other traffic report. Some of those are even solo spinouts.