Old June 11th 05, 02:45 PM
Bob Shuman

Turn the ignition key on-off-on-off-on and then leave on. (On is not start,
just run position) The check engine light will flash out a sequence of two
digit codes. Post the codes here. Check this group's archives for the
procedure if you do not understand as it has been posted hundreds of times
by Daniel Stern. The last time just a day or two ago.

I still think I'd replace the plugs and wires as a start. Those wires broke
down after time and shorted out causing unburned fuel to get into exhaust.
I'd still suspect that the bangs you hear are misfiring/backfiring since it
is on acceleration.

Post the codes or find the table using a simple Google search on "Chrysler
engine diagnostic codes".

Bob
"Simon" > wrote in message
> You're right, it's 180K, sorry for the mistake.
>
> Yes, the Check Engine light is on sometimes after driving for a long time,
> but never happened together with this acceleration problem. It's the 3.3L
> V6engine, I have no idea about the code thing. It's got good routine

engine
> services all the time, but as to plugs and ignition wires, I don't know as
> the second owner for 5 years. The noise does not sound like from the

engine,