Old April 25th 05, 09:40 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article .com>,
says...

>Hey all,
>
>I have a 97 Hionda civic currently @112000 mileage. However, i have
>not yet replaced the timing belt for it. My dealer mentions a cost of
>around $665.00 whereas there's a nearby mechanic shop (i live in
>Redmond, WA BTW) who is quoting $185 including parts and labor. I am
>in a dilemma as to whom to go with?
>Could you please advise whether its worth shelling out that much with
>the dealer or worth taking a chance with the mechanic.

Does the nearby mechanic specialize in Hondas? You can also ask him how many
of these he has done. Speaking to other customers is also a good idea.
Also, when you compare the prices, are they for the exact same thing? It
could be the dealer is quoting you the price of the belt change plus a
water pump and the local mechanic is just quoting the price of changing the
timing belt.
Alex