Old August 15th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
brink

Default Dont tailgate me bumper sticket

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I often wondered if such a bumper sticker would have any effect? I
> think many people tailgate because theyfeel there is no consequence .
> With a bumper sticket like that it would mean the driver does not
> appreciate being tailgaited and would likely do something retaliatory.
>
> On the other hand, i fear the redneck, white trash type of driver would
> see it as an invitation to purposely furthur annoy and vastly increase
> your chance of an accident??

Yep. I think for the most part it would -- unfortunately -- cause more
problems than it solves. People get awfully irrational and emotional at
times behind the wheel and they tend to take things like someone ahead of
them "blocking" them personally. I think the sticker may exacerbate that as
they -- irrationally -- interpret that as personal insult. Kind of like
people who take George W. Bush bumper stickers personally. Kinda dumb if
you ask me.

The best tailgater repellent is just letting em pass, which you *should* be
doing if you're on a multi-lane road anyway. If you're in a place where you
either cannot change lanes (literally -- restricted lanes like HOV or
express) or are on a two-lane road with no passing lanes and no safe place
to pull over, what I usually do is -- without braking -- slow down
significantly and then speed back up to where you were before. This creates
a greater following distance and usually serves to wake the other driver up
a bit if they aren't consciously tailgating.

brink