Old August 14th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

Default Overheating problem

"crispycritter via CarKB.com" wrote:

> Thanks for the replies and the suggestions.
>
> jim wrote:
>
> > But it seems unlikely that will be the source of the problem. If we can
> >assume that the OP has described the problem correctly then it seems he
> >can drive around all day in town (stop and go traffic) without it
> >overheating. That indicates that all of the sensors gauges and fans are
> >working as they should. It's seems oily when he drives at highway speeds
> >for more than 12 mins. that it overheats. The fan doesn't add much to
> >the cooling capacity at 65 mph.
> >

> It's hard to demonstrate that it doesn't overheat due to excessive city
> driving, because I do so little. Most is done on the freeway. But once off
> the freeway, the little bit of city driving I do does cause the temp to cool
> down to about half way (although still higher than what one would expect).

So you don't actually know that it is overheating? For all you know half
way is right where it is supposed to be. I would still be concerned a
little about it going up when driving at highway speeds, but the gauge
could be very sensitive in that temperature band so it's possible that
could be just a few degrees elevated.

-jim