Old August 14th 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ted Mittelstaedt

Default Overheating problem

"crispycritter" <u25234@uwe> wrote in message news:64ae119c12d37@uwe...
> Hi, I have a 2000 Daewoo Nubira, and it has an overheating problem. It
> overheats on the freeway, after about 10-15 miles of driving at sustained
> freeway speed. When exiting the freeway, the gauge creeps up another

couple
> of notches when I come to a full stop, then cools down to 1/2 way on the
> gauge when I start back up again (never goes down to where it should be
> though - half way is the coolest it gets). This is what I've done to date

> solve the problem
>
> * Installed a new radiator
> * Installed a new thermostat
> * Installed a new waterpump (and while it was disassembled I also had
> installed a new timing belt)

Did you reverse flush the block with a garden hose or some such when
you did these replacements?

> * Two separate pressure tests
> * PH Balance test (whatever that is)
> * Verified that no steam is venting from the exhaust pipe
>
> I've spent 1100.00 so far, and I'm still at square one. Car still

overheats.

Before doing anything more you need to do a cylinder leakdown test on all
cylinders and/or check for the presense of exhaust byproducts in the
coolant,
there are test strips for this, to eliminate a failed head gasket.

I am not sure why you think a failed head gasket would always result in
steam
out of the exhaust pipe.

Ted