Old August 13th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

Default Overheating problem

Lefty wrote:

> Is your coolant really hot? Are you losing coolant (boil over)? Gauges
> are mechanical devices which may not be correct. Yours connects to a
> sensor in the coolant stream. If you are not losing coolant use an IR
> gun or a touch type thermometer and see how hot the coolant is. Your
> cooling fans should turn on low speed at 199 degrees and go to high at
> 207 degrees. The PCM will shut them off at 194 degrees.

I don't know this car but there may be 2 separate temp sensors - one for
the gauge sand one for the computer. So there are several items not on
his list that should be checked to see if they are working correctly.

But it seems unlikely that will be the source of the problem. If we can
assume that the OP has described the problem correctly then it seems he
can drive around all day in town (stop and go traffic) without it
overheating. That indicates that all of the sensors gauges and fans are
working as they should. It's seems oily when he drives at highway speeds
for more than 12 mins. that it overheats. The fan doesn't add much to
the cooling capacity at 65 mph.

So I would look for something that is restricting the air flow or
coolant flow at high speed. Did he forget to remove that piece of
cardboard he stuck in the grille when it was -20° last winter? Maybe the
suction side radiator hose is collapsing at high speed. Also late
ignition timing coupled with high speed can cause excess heat
generation.

-jim