Old July 23rd 05, 11:11 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"jimhigh66" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Richard
> Unless the lights are immersed a lot perhaps just drilling some drain
> holes in the bottom and using some grease on the electrical contacts would
> be "good enough". I've used this technique with success in fresh water --
> don't know about salt.

Pure water is an insulator, not a conductor. It is what gets dissolved in
it
that acts as a conductor. Salt for example makes water into an excellent
conductor. Soapy bathtub and sink water also make good conductors.
Dissolved iron, AKA rust, also works well to make water into a conductor.

But for your average fresh water resivour you can go to the boat launch
and watch them backing into the lake, and see the brake lights going even
under water, then watch them pull out and see the water come pouring out
of the light housings.

Ted