Old July 22nd 05, 08:57 PM
XS11E

"Frank Berger" > wrote in:

> "XS11E" > wrote in message
>> "Frank Berger" > wrote in:
>>
>>> My own local Mazda dealer does not recommend automatically replacing the
>>> water pump when the timing belt is replaced.

>> You've not been following the thread, have you? ;-)

> I thought there was an analogy between whether to replace the water pump
> when replacing the engine and when replacing the timing belt. I guess you
> don't think so.

No, I sure don't. First, replacing the timing belt w/o replacing the water
pump is false economy just like not replacing the valve cover gasket, cam
seals and crank seal. The additional cost is very small compared to what it
will cost if any of these parts fail later, don't ask me how I know that....

Second, the OP said his engine was replaced at 108,000 miles, that's a lot
more miles than the scheduled timing belt replacement and as proven by the
OP, not replacing the water pump at that time was a mistake.