Old May 9th 05, 01:42 AM
Spike

So easy to say, but it does not take into account human nature, or how
the system really has worked since the earliest days of the Republic,
when the Founding Fathers; wealthy, educated, landowners; determined
that women, slaves, anyone who did not own land, frontiers people,
Indians, etc, should not be able to vote. They lacked the education,
worldly experience, and personal investment motivation to know what
was best for themselves. Elitists then, elitists now.

We all know how we were taught in school about how it's supposed to
work, but has it ever really worked that way? Not really. There have
only been times when it was closer than other times. Sometimes the
devil you know is much better than the devil you don't. I for one
would rather have what we have than some of the possibilities we could
have; think North Korea, China, the chaos of the former Soviet Union,
Malaysia where chewing gum in public is punishable by caning, or the
theocracy of Islam.

As for Special Interest groups, from corporations to religions, they
DO vote with their wallets and their influence over employees/members.

On Sun, 08 May 2005 18:24:16 -0400, "Michael Johnson, PE"
> wrote:

>Spike wrote:
>> I seriously doubt you could come up with a strategy which would work
>> to accomplish such a goal.

>It's easy, just vote for the guy that wants to eliminate/reduce the gas tax.
>
>> You can threaten not to reelect politicians, but when they get huge
>> campaign contributions from the oil companies, you think they'll care?

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16