Old May 8th 05, 08:55 PM
Spike

I seriously doubt you could come up with a strategy which would work
to accomplish such a goal.

You can threaten not to reelect politicians, but when they get huge
campaign contributions from the oil companies, you think they'll care?

You could boycott the oil companies to try to get them to push for
lower taxes on gas. But they don't care. They have a product which
everyone "needs" and which people will buy whatever the price.

If, and only if, you could get the overwhelming majority to stand
together and demand the lowering of the taxes, would it happen, and I
don't see that happening. For decades, this has been a goal with
regard to income taxes. It has not happened yet. People think of self
first. In order to feed themselves and their families, they need to
get to work. If that means paying the high pump prices, they'll pay
them. It won't matter what part is product and what part is tax.

It's pretty rare when even a "temporary" tax is instituted with a
specific end date, actually goes away. Once in place, as the end date
approaches, the politicos find another use for a tax the people are
already accustomed to paying. And they get enough people to support
the new cause to keep it in place.

On Sun, 08 May 2005 12:04:57 -0400, "Michael Johnson, PE"
> wrote:

>If we would all make it clear that high gasoline taxes are unacceptable
>and vote accordingly then those taxes would vanish very quickly.
>
>Spike wrote:
>> Tax or no tax, you're still paying what you pay. Just like in
>> California. I makes no difference what the state tax and the fed tax
>> are, I still have to pay whatever the pump price is.
>>
>> On Sat, 07 May 2005 22:39:32 -0700, Quiet Desperation
>> > wrote:

>>>You also have to take local gas taxes into account. I believe much of
>>>the EU has enormous gas taxes.

>> Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
>> 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
>> Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
>> Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
>> w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!