Old March 15th 05, 01:49 AM
Ratbert

Default 96 High mounted stop lamp (center brake light)

The center brake light is burned out on my 96 Explorer. I went to a
parts store and asked for a bulb. They looked in a book (it wasn't on
their computer) and sold me one that seemed way too small for $1.60.
When I got home, and tried to change it, I realized that I couldn't get
to the bulb without cutting some rivets. At the same time, I determined
that the bulb I got is probably not the right one. I called the parts
counter at the local Ford dealer, and they told me that the light is
sold only as a unit, and it is about $250 for the part. Has anyone here
replaced or repaired the light any cheaper than that? Is there
something else I should check before shelling out big bucks for a new light?