Old August 4th 06, 10:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jimmy the Hand

Default Harder and harder to start

Eeyore wrote:
> Tell me what you think...
>
> '99 Mercury Mountaineer, V-8 5.0L engine, 98K miles.
>
> Lately she's been getting harder and harder to start. As in not REAL
> hard, but she cranks for a good 2 seconds before she catches. Once
> running, no problems. No recent changes in engine performance or
> MPG's. But, gradually and consistently taking longer to start, in all
> conditions. Battery's real strong, so that's not it.
>
> I've put in new double platinum spark plugs, had the fuel filter changed,
> had the local shop perform a fuel-injector cleaning service, replaced the
> air filter, cleaned out the throttle body (it had the sticky accelerator pedal
> problem which is now cleared up), put in some fresh Mobil 1 5W-30 and
> a new filter.
>
> I even bought her some new tires then told her how pretty she looks...
>
> No change.
>
> Any ideas?

A couple to start with. Check fuel pressure at your rack after you
turn the key on. The fuel pump should run and pressurize the rack
before you start the vehicle. Also, try to get some resistance
measurements on your injectors. Maybe you've got an injector that's
starting to go faulty. Resistance measurements should be listed in any
DIYers repair manual.