Old October 10th 04, 06:42 AM
Joe Pfeiffer

Full_Name > writes:

> Low profile tires simply will not last the same length of time that a
> similarly constructed 80 series tire will last. (heat torsional
> forces etc).

Mind elaborating on that? I don't know much (I know virtually
nothing) about tire construction, but offhand I can't think of any
reason why a lower profile wouldn't last at least as long as an
equivalently constructed taller tire. I can imagine the sidewalls not
lasting as long (since the torsional forces are spread across a
shorter distance), but I've never had a tire's sidewall wear out:
every tire I've ever replaced has been because of tread wear or road
hazard, and I don't see how sidewall height would affect either one.

Now, if you'd like to say that a lower profile tire will typically be
a higher performance tire, and hence will have a softer compound so it
will wear out more quickly, I'll agree completely. But that isn't
inherent in "lower profile", and isn't my idea of "equivalent
construction."