Old March 12th 05, 05:08 PM
B. Peg

> "JP White" wrote:
> IMHO all you are paying for is the warranty. The quality of most batteries
> is not too great and I see it as a gamble as to if the battery is capable
> of giving long service or not. Most warranties are pro rated after the
> first year anyhow.
>
> Rather than bother with 'gold' or big warranties, I look at cranking amps,
> and prefer to spend the money there instead.

Good point. Around here in central valley of CA, my car's batteries only
last 2 years and it doesn't seem to hinge on the warranty label. I replaced
three Wal-Mart batteries (Super Cranks) in one year on a motorcycle. They
were pro-rated at 90 days so it almost felt like I was buying a new one ever
time it went south. The Sear's Die-Hard made it 1 1/2 - 2 years before they
gave up from heat.

I've had far better longevity out of Optima dry-cell batteries (4-5 years)
although they cost around twice as much.

B~