Old March 12th 05, 04:29 PM
JP White

> Wal-mart auto centre, charge $40, 2-year warranty
> Sears, charge $60-70, 5-year warranty, but no time, got replaced from
> wal-mart, how good is this?. Does anybody have any idea?.

I once bought a second-hand Ford Probe that came with a WalMart battery.
3 years later we sold it without it ever giving any trouble, who knows
how old it was.

On the other hand I've seen 5 year 'gold' batteries fail relatively
quickly in another vehicle (the subsequent replacement battery ran great
for many years - so the car wasn't the issue).

IMHO all you are paying for is the warranty. The quality of most
batteries is not too great and I see it as a gamble as to if the battery
is capable of giving long service or not. Most warranties are pro rated
after the first year anyhow.

Rather than bother with 'gold' or big warranties, I look at cranking
amps, and prefer to spend the money there instead.

JP

--
JP White