Old July 30th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Gasket Maker Question

"shiden_kai" > wrote in message

> This is not possible in the environment that I work in. I've found,
> (and I've used it every day since GM first started using it) that the
> most important thing is that the surfaces are absolutely clean and
> dry. There can be no oil on the surfaces...etc. I don't notice any
> problems with jobs that I've done, and I often see the same cars
> back in my bay up to 5 years after I've performed a repair.
>
> Every now and then, the timing of the job happens to be right
> at the end of the day, and I'm able to leave the RTV untouched
> overnight after assembling. Pretty rare tho, and I've noticed no
> problems with quality when simply putting the components together
> and starting the engine right up.
>
> For you hobby mechanics, you have the time to let these things
> "set up". It's not possible for a flat rate dealer tech to do it this way
> unless I had 3 bays (which I don't).
>
> Ian

The biggest problem I had was a dammittohell 84 Fiero with the crappola
Iron Puke engine.

We are talking about the coolant side, in this case.

I tried ordinary gaskets in the set, and this damn thing leaked. I tried
gasket sealer, and it leaked.

And then I tried RTV Blue, and IT leaked, when used as you describe.
I finally glued this POS together carefully and let it vulcanize overnight.
Never another problem.

Maybe this was a special situation, but it taught me a lesson in humility.