Old July 27th 06, 06:00 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.economics
Bill Funk

Default Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 17:40:12 -0500, lid wrote:

>In article >,
> Bill Funk > wrote:
>
>> Personally, I'm for requiring ID. Otherwise, how do you know who is
>> actually able/allowed to vote?

>Obviously, you have never worked the polls on election day. You should
>try it.
>
>As a poll worker, your job is to confirm that the voter's name is
>registered on the rolls, match the name against the address and give the
>voter a ballot. The name is crossed off the roll when s/he gets his
>ballot. Bingo. One man, one vote.

Explain how this would confirm that the person claiming to be, say,
John Doe at 123 Main Street is, in fact, John Doe who resides at 123
Main St.

>If you are not registered, your name will not be on the rolls and you
>will not be given a ballot. Period.
>
>If the voter gives you a false name, s/he is committing a crime with
>severe consequences.

Explain to me how the person who claims to be someone he is not would
be caught?
Or, demonstrate that there is actually an effort to catch such people.

>Like gun laws, a little enforcement would go a long way toward
>preventing voter fraud without introducing even more laws. Allow local
>registrars to confirm voter records annually and purge those they
>cannot. This all costs money, but if the electorate is really interested
>in election rectitude, this is the way to do it. Forget voter ID. It is
>a bad idea that will almost certainly fail any court challenges.

Ah! Enforcement! This is not what is happening. In fact, there are, in
most states, not even mechanisms for determining who that person
standing there giving a name really is.
With a gun purchase, ID must be checked by Federal law; there's no
analogy with voter ID.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"