Old July 23rd 04, 01:08 PM
Jay Somerset

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:33:16 +0200, Wolfgang Pawlinetz >
wrote:

> BBO wrote:
>
> >If you have ever tried to break hard, really hard, with badly worn
> >tires at the back you would know.

> Sure did. As hard as it would go. On parking lots I did lots of try
> (and error ;-)) things. On gravel and on snow as well as on dry
> tarmac.
>
> I never had the problem that on my front driven A6 the rear broke out.
>
> But I often had the problem that the car would understeer.
>
> So, what are you guys doing differently?
>
> >The tires with the least grip will
> >try to get in front of the tires with the best grip...

> Maybe I change tires too early to see that. Mine go when they are down
> to 2 mm for summer and less then 3 to 4 on winter tires.
>
> Maybe I'm also OT as this is a quattro thread.
>
> Regards
>
> Wolfgang

If you are able to brake in a completely straight line, on a smooth surface,
with absolutely constant coefficient of friction, then the rear tires will
probably stay in line behind the front. Deviations from this ideal condition
will require some quick reaction on the steering to keep the car straight.

However, if you hit a patch on the road with appreciably different traction,
or if the right wheels encounter a different situation thasn the left, even
fast steering reaction may not be enough to prevent the rear from coming
around. Or if you are turning and still have to slow down (bad planning;
unexpected obstacle, etc.)

A slight bit of understeer is not bad -- you just have to approach your
corners a bit differently than if you had oversteer. A lot of understeer is
not good -- neither is a lot of oversteer.

While a "expert driver" might get away with an oversteering car, the
presciption to put the better tires on the rear is proper for "the average
driver" and certainly safest for those with no clue at all. :-)