Old July 21st 05, 01:09 PM
TeGGeR®

jim beam > wrote in news:4_qdnX51wsGltULfRVn-
:

> chibitul wrote:
>> "For the '97, I'd limit pedal travel to 1.5" with a block under the
>> pedal. "
>>
>> Could you please comment on that?
>>

> there may be merit to this argument, but for my money, the master
> cylinder /must/ be able to withstand excess travel in the event of
> emergency braking or line failure, so, apart from the fact that full
> travel bleeding is the only way to bleed some difficult systems, i think
> it's best to bleed full travel now, and see if it accelerates failure.
>
> my experience is that some master cylinders on neglected systems will
> often start to leak a few days after a fluid change, even if bled by
> vacuum or pressure [where there is zero pedal movement], because new
> fluid causes seals to shrink, so therefore cause & effect with full
> travel bleeding is not absolute.

Maybe so, but the risk of damage rises considerably with age and neglect.

I've found that systems up to about six years old are /usually/ OK for
pedal bleeding. I suppose that six years would probably be extended in low-
moisture regions like SoCal and Nevada.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ