Old August 12th 04, 03:51 PM
Alfistagj

"Buzzardous Cross" > schreef in bericht
om...
> Hi Guys,
> Have seen quite a lot of good info 'bout tyres on this group. And a
> few times it's been mentioned that on FWD cars, it's best to have the
> better pair of tyres at the rear.
> Firstly, is that the general opinion of the Alfisti on this group?

From earlier discussions: NO

> Second, anybody got an idea why this is so?

Yes

> Reason I ask:
> I've always thought the opposite was true i.e. the better pair should
> go in front cause:
> a. in daily driving, your need for traction/grip is greatest when you
> have to slam your brakes in an emergency - and that requires most grip
> in the front...otherwise you'll have less braking force before your
> ABS kicks in
> b. it's harder to correct a front wheel skid than a rear wheel skid =>
> put the "skid prone" tyres at the back.
>
> BC
> 156 Seles

In principle you are right, but that is also the reason why you are wrong.
That traction is important for braking as well as accelerating is very true,
but slips normally don't occur during normal accelerating or braking, but
when driving at a more or less constant speed in a curve or in aquaplaning
or when /after you switch lanes etc.

Most important reason is active safety for the "normal"driver and under
normal circumstances..
It's not the fact that it's harder or not to correct a front or rear slip,
but the fact that you will have a lot more time to notice a front slip than
a back slip.
Assuming you are driving forward (!), when you get a front slip, the front
of the car will be in front of you; you can see it coming and have time to
do things to avoid it.
The first moment you notice a rear wheel slip is when you see the rear of
the car in front of you, leaving no more time to correct; you are back front
all ready.
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)