Old July 1st 04, 09:26 PM
Tim Shoppa

"Peter" > wrote in message >...
> I own a 95 Saturn SL . The alternator was replaced 1 year ago recently I
> have been getting loud squealing noise . I know that its the belt getting
> lose. Where is the pulley located to adjust the tension on the Belt.

There's an idler pulley and a tensioner pulley. The tensioner provides
the tension to the belt and isn't really adjustable.

A metal-on-metal squealing sound at low RPM's
is probably the bearings going bad in
either the idler or tensioner. They failed about 3 months apart on my
wife's 92 SL1. You may as well do both at the same time.

Idler was around $40, Tensioner was $140, just for the parts. Unbelievably
high dealer prices. Some here have replaced just the bearings and saved
big bucks.

Tim.