Old December 10th 04, 03:44 PM
Steve

Chris Bergquist wrote:

> Any recommendation on the best way to lower a 68 Mustang? I tried
> installing springs that were advertised to lower the car 1" and improve
> the handling. All they accomplished was to make the ride a lot stiffer
> and they didn't lower the car at all. I'm looking for a 1" drop.
>
> Chris

My first reaction is "Sell it to someone who appreciates good cars, and
go screw up a Honda or something no one cares about." :-p

But in recent years, I HAVE seen older cars tastefully lowered with nice
wheels (not "bling") so my knee doesn't jerk quite as hard as it used to.

For lowering the front end, a "drop spindle" setup is far better than
altering the springs, because shorter springs are by necessity going to
be harsh. A drop spindle lets you keep the full suspension travel and
spring compliance while lowering the ride height by shifting the wheel
upward relative to the suspension components.

Options for the rear are similar- as long as you don't want a HUGE drop,
you can use spacer blocks that raise the axle relative to the spring,
once again allowing you to keep the full suspension travel. But taller
blocks are more sensitive to breaking under high torque, so a lot of
lowering does not mix well with high performance.