Old March 27th 05, 10:27 AM
jaybird

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> jaybird wrote:
>
>> "L Sternn" > wrote in message

m...

>>>I agree, but jaybird's defense of this piece of **** is really making
>>>me wonder why.

>> I'll tell you exactly why. All you have to do is ask. The only thing
>> I'm defending the cop for is against losing his job. I have said already
>> that is comment was inappropriate and so was hanging up on the caller. I
>> think 15 days off is more than appropriate punishment for an 18 year
>> veteran with no record of previous disciplinary action.
>>

> Even when it quite possibly (for all he knew at the time) could have
> resulted in the unnecessary death of a civilian?
>
> I dunno, at my job, if I screwed up where a customer got ****ed off or
> something I'd expect a stern talking to and maybe a couple days off. If
> it resulted in someone's death, I'd *expect* to get fired, and indeed it
> would be inevitable as the company would want to minimize its exposure to
> lawsuits. Tenure is irrelevant - and that's the way it *should* be.

I guess we'd have to put it into perspective then. His inaction was not to
deliberately kill someone. He had no idea the extent of the injuries, nor
were the injuries his fault. The guy could've died no matter what anyone
did which is pretty much what happened. At the most his inaction would've
delayed emergency response by the time it takes to make 3 phone calls but
his bosses were quoted as saying there was no delay.

--
---
jaybird