Old June 25th 05, 03:20 AM
Tim Rogers

"Rookie" > wrote in message

> There was alot of belt dust on the generator, carb, and engine case.
> So it would be a guess, maybe it was able to turn the Generator for a
> little bit before it completely shredded?

.................Ah. This sheds a lot more light on your problem. It would
seem that maybe there was a period of time when the belt was slipping while
at the same time still turning the fan enough to provide a little cooling
during at least part of those ten miles after your generator light came on.
I'd consider replacing those heads with a new pair because the aluminum in
them is subject to heat damage in a situation like this. I'm no metallurgist
but it's been said that temps beyond 450 deg. F. cause the aluminum to
become very soft and brittle. While the heads are being replaced, your
mechanic would be able to visually inspect the piston crowns for heat
damage. Another suggestion would be to install an oil pressure gauge to rule
out whether the bearings have been damaged enough to create a low oil
pressure problem.