Old October 11th 04, 07:51 PM
JimNorton

Default 1993 AC Compressor Clutch Kit?

I have a 1993 Corvette and one day while running the AC this
blue/whitish smoke started bellowing out of the hood. I didn't know
what the problem was, but I managed to get the car home... it was a
short drive.

The following morning, I started the car up and heard a "thwack". I
shut the engine down, opened the hood and noticed that the serpentine
belt had broken and the AC pulley would not turn... Now I believe that
the AC compressor clutch froze up.

I was quoted about $800 from a local Chevy dealer to fix this.

That sounds rather unreasonable considering I can buy just the clutch
from a local parts store for about $150.

Now my question is, is it reasonable to just replace the AC clutch
assembly and if so, is this a complicated task requiring special
tools?

Thanks.