Old September 18th 04, 01:31 PM
Dave

In article >, Dana Myers > wrote:
>Brian Turner wrote:
>
>> When following the car
>> home after we bought it, we noticed that the speedometer seems to be off.
>> When the car is going 65 (according to the car following) the speedometer
>> reads 70.

>Yeah. My '02 SE does that too. 70MPH indicated is something
>like 64.6 MPH according to my GPS.
>
>> I am not as concerned about the speedometer being off as the RPM range the
>> car is in when driving 65 MPH. The car revs at 3,700 RPM. This seems
>> excessive, but being new to Miatas it may be OK. Is this RPM normal for
>> driving at 65 in a Miata.

>Sounds about right.

Yep, mine reads about 70 when going 65. I've never had a speedo
that read low or accurately. But this one is more optimistic than
any other. Note, the odometer is not off by anywhere near as
much, perhaps 1% high? Would make an interesting fight for
warranty coverage if it was that far off!

My calculations for rpm at 65 (actual) mph:
5-speed: 3360
6-speed: 3100
MS Miata: 3220