Old July 20th 05, 02:04 PM
Brian

When I build race engines I use a thin layer of orange Permatex on all paper
gaskets that need to seal fluid, except for the head gasket. I dab it on
and massage it in to both sides of the paper gasket by hand, making sure
that there is no excess to squeeze out. I try not to use the thick cork
type gaskets for oil pans, but I do use them when I have a pressed steel pan
to put on. I prefer cast (or billet) aluminium oil pans over steel. I put
head gaskets on dry but I have used a product called Super Seal on head
gaskets around the water passages to get through a weekend. I glue cork or
rubber valve cover gaskets to the vave cover using Super Seal, and leave the
head side dry - they are good for a season at least of constant valve checks
and adjustments. I like Super Seal, it's rather amazing stuff - I put some
on a diff housing to seal up a hole where part of a spider gear sought (and
gained) freedom, and that repair has lasted over ten years...

Brian

newsziDe.35624$Tx1.14699@trnddc03...