Old August 11th 06, 08:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W[_1_]

Default Low profile wider tires noisier?

Mike G wrote:

> "E28 Guyİ" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>> bimbim wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all. I have just replaced my stock 15"s on a 95 325i with 17"s
>>> with 8" on front and 81/2" on the rear.

>> Ah! So you're one of those rare people who prefers even *more*
>> understeer than the average BMW brings to the table!
>>
>>> I find the front noisy. It has Continental Tires. Is this normal? There
>>> is no vibration felt so I'm thinking it might not be the balancing.
>>>
>>> The rears don't have so much noise and have Toyo Proxess.

>> Why the hell would you have not only two different *sizes* of tires,

> My E34 has 235/45 ZRx17" on the front, and 255/40 ZRx17" on the rear.
> The fronts on 8" rims. The rears on 9" rims.
> Those sizes are listed as an option in the E34 Owners Handbook.
> So having different width wheel rims would appear to be quite acceptable.
> Mike.

Yes, acceptable for those wishing to indulge in increased levels of
understeer. The car understeers by default with same sized tires on all
4 corners, how could putting wider rubber on the rear do anything but
increase it?

All that said, if you never drive the car beyond 8/10ths you would
really never notice a difference...

--
-Fred W