Old May 4th 05, 11:10 PM
Tony Rickard

"Zathras" wrote:

> Sorry..it IS old fashioned and you are wrong. Newer, more advanced
> thought, considers it very bad to loose grip at the rear first. You
> put your best tyres on the rear so the front looses grip first
> (hopefully). This you can see and react to in a way you can't if the
> rear goes first. The reasoning applies for all road vehicles. It's all
> been explained here, and in other places, several times so, if you
> need further clarification, do a google search.

I accept that losing the rear can be harder to control, however, the
majority of "offs" IMHO are through simply understeering off. Having said
all that there are many other factors such as weight distribution (having a
20 odd stone of people in the back, a boot full of compost etc.) that
probably have a greater influence. Add to that the nut behind the wheel
doing daft things like abruptly braking mid bend or failing to read road
conditions (the sign said 40mph therefore I must be able to go round this
bend in a monsoon at 40mph) and I am unconvinced a small difference between
front and back tyres really make the difference between spinning off and
staying in control.

However, a soft front and a hard rear maybe sufficient to change the
balance.