Old March 8th 05, 03:20 PM
Chris

Default 2000 156 Selespeed - what's the matter?

My 2000 156 Selespeed (sp1) has been behaving rather oddly in the last
few days on City mode.
- Keeps sticking in first with the Selespeed warning light flashing.
This has happened a few times when pulling away from stopped. Usually
first time I use it in the day, but it did it with embarrassing
consequences at a roundabout the other day and got up to 7'000 revs
before it saw sense and changed up.
- Warning light flashing for about 3 seconds (same kind of time as
problem above). Not sure what happens here as it has had no need to
change gear in this period. I do know that I can't tip the gear to
something else while this is happening though (in case its a City mode
problem and disengaging would help).
- Stuck itself in 3rd for my wife the other day. Wouldn't change up,
wouldn't change down - same problem as above I guess although she did
want to change gear.
- Older problem but one we've lived with is that in very cold weather
it has a tendency to drop to Neutral (again in City mode) when the
revs drop. Tapping the shift usually sorts it out and sets it back to
whatever gear it was in before it tripped out.

I suspect these are not isolated problems and would be very grateful
if anybody has a clue I can take to the garage to spare them replacing
everything. Any FYI, I do not know what revision of the firmware I've
got - my wife having done all the servicing in the past. So its
likely I'm not on 4407.

Many thanks
Chris