Old June 30th 04, 03:43 AM
Ted Azito

(Frank starr) wrote in message . com>...
> There's someone in my area selling a 1986 Volvo Turbo Diesel for
> $1295. The dashboard needs some "cosmetic work", and the a/c may only
> need new freon. The fellow tells me that once he got a conversion van
> for his wife they "laid it aside", but he says it's still a good car.
> My mechanic, who doesn't do diesels, says they are expensive to
> repair, and mostly have to be taken to dealers for repair work. Anyone
> have different opionions or experience?

These cars had very poor engine life as the engine would lose
compression at arounf 100,000 miles. This was a six cylinder version
of the famous VW inline four in Rabbits. The Rabbits' diesels were
very reliable.

Almost all Diesel Volvos were converted-several swaps exist- or
junked by now.

This engine is not difficult to work on-it's fully mechanical and has
a Bosch pump. Other than short cylinder life, it's a good engine and
if they had a fix (different liner and piston?) it would be very
reliable.