Old October 7th 04, 10:57 AM
Peter Bozz

Frank Kemper wrote:
> "Matt O'Toole" > haute in die Tasten:
>

>> I'd buy
>>one over a similarly-priced Mini or VW because of the RWD, but I doubt
>>I'll ever get the chance.
>>

> That may be a problem, because the 1' series is far more expensive than a
> Golf. Starting price is 20.000 Euros, and with some extras you soon reach
> 30.000 Euros. A similarly equipped Golf costs at least 20% less, if you
> chose an Opel Astra or Ford Focus instead, the savings are even bigger.
>
> When the 1' series was introduced in Germany, the high price was regarded
> as its main disadvantage.

But can you really directly compare the 1 series to the Ford Focus or
the Opel Astra? Isn't it a bit like comparing the 5 series to
the Ford Mondeo? It's just not the same thing.

Is BMW's strategy with the 1 series really to draw people away
from the Opels Astras and Ford Focuses?

If you want a Ford Focus or a Golf which is fitted with the
most powerful engine each model line has to offer (Ford 2.016V or
Golf 2.0 16V FSI or the GTI) which have comparable BHP and acceleration
times as the 120i, is the price difference really that big?
Even then, I'd venture to say the BMW will be better value for
your money (well, except for the GTI Golf maybe).

Peter