Old February 28th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default 96 LHS cooling problem

My 96 LHS ran hot the other day. Symptoms we Wife said she smelled antifreeze inside the car. Saw no evidence of a heater core leak. Popped the coolant tank cap and it blew coolant out pretty hard. Left it running and put in some water until it calmed down a bit although it continued to blow water out as long as the engine ran. Upper radiator hose was not real firm as I assumed it should be with pressure from the water pump. Noticed a small amount of water in the tailpipe. No obvious leaks in hoses. Radiator fans seem to work OK. I let it cool for a few hours and drove it about 15 miles without incident. Heat gauge stayed in normal range.

Any suggestions where to look first?? I thought I may try removing the thermostat and see if it opens when hot. Beyond that I dunno.