Old October 5th 04, 06:49 PM
Zathras

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:16:44 -0400, "Ballymoney"
> wrote:

>Thanks for your quick response

:-)

>I'm just concerned that they are saying the warranty does not cover rust
>if it is a result of a scratch

This is correct - body warranties cover perforation FROM the other
side of the metal. They do NOT cover scratches - partly as this is
already covered by your comprehensive car insurance policy anyway.

>from a former owner.

This doesn't matter.

>They are just assuming there was a scratch. Its nonsense!

...how can YOU be sure? Rust coming from the other side of a painted
metal usually forms a distinctive blister as the rust pushes the paint
layers off the underlying metal. For a fair bit of time, this paint
blister will remain intact before bursting from the inside out. Often
this paint comes off in a sizeable piece when you rub or wash it.

If it's a paint side scratch or hole, then you don't get the same
blister effect. For a start there's a hole or scratch in the paintwork
right from the start. As I said, warranty people will not entertain
repair of this type..ever!

>There is NO evidence to suggest the
>previous owner had a bump and a re-spray cos as you say runs in the paint
>are a common problem with alfa. It's basically my word against theirs.
>Anyway, i'll battle on. They haven't heard the last of it.

You may be wasting your time unless the rust started on the other side
of the metal.

>Is it worth contacting the former owner to determine if he did have a
>bump? Surely even alfa couldn't argue against that, but then again...
>they'll say as its a friday and its raining you're not covered or
>something pathetic like that.

You're still wasting your time unless the rust started on the other
side of the metal!

The paintwork (3 year against manufacturing defects only) and bodywork
8 year against perforation were clearly defined in the paperwork I got
with my car.

From memory, so the exact wording may be different: the body/paintwork
has to be inspected at the correct intervals (correct servicing times)
and any body repairs have to be of an approved standard. If the car
has been repaired then (by default) it looks as though the quality of
the repair was poor and you may not inherit the full body warranty as
a result until approved remedial work is carried out.

IMHO, if the paint is broken you'll have a job on your hands getting
money for this work. I don't wish to put you off though.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)