Old July 21st 05, 08:44 PM
Comboverfish

N8N wrote:
> Steve wrote:

> Because they use the high beams and therefore are rude and glaring to
> other motorists, defeating the idea of a "safety" feature. It's nice
> to let other traffic know I'm there; it's not so nice to blind them.

I hear that complaint very infrequently, and I don't really get it.
High beams in series (DRLs) are a much lower intensity of focused light
than when run normally at full B+. The biggest reason HB DRLs are not
a problem is the fact that they are used in DAYLIGHT; there is
significant sunlight outside as to keep onlookers' eyes adjusted for
bright light conditions. Ive seen plenty of cars going down the street
over the years with their highbeams on (for whatever reason) and never
thought it was annoying -- let alone DRLs.

Our resident lighting expert Dan likes small dedicated amber DRLs
better than headlights for a variety of reasons, but my gut feeling is
I like the headlight systems better - just from a driver standpoint. I
think they are more noticeable and hopefully more safe as a result. I
have no facts to back that up, however.

Toyota MDT in MO