Old July 16th 05, 12:02 AM
C.H.

N8N wrote:

> C.H. wrote:

>> Less expensive but more junky. True horror-brakes, horrible quality,
>> designed by a committee and only selling because some people are stupid
>> enough to think that a 10 year warranty makes up for an unreliable POS.

> Again, if I didn't know who you were talking about, I'd immediately
> think of GM rather than Hyundai (well, I don't think GM offers a 10
> year warranty.) That said, Hyundai has come a long way since they
> first came to the US; their products aren't all that bad, all things
> considered.

I had a Hyundai as a rental a few months ago. Still a horrible car.

>> Hahahahaha! I see how the Golfs and Boras (German Jetta) of my friends in
>> Germany break. Engine and electronics problems galore. Thanks,
>> reliability wise Id rather take a V6 Malibu than the turbo Jetta.

> My experiences haven't been like that. Yeah, they had some supplier
> issues with coil packs and window regulators but their fit and finish
> as well as the feel and appearance of the interiors is a cut above, and
> the handling is much better than either the US or Japanese competition.

I was always amused when my coworkers' Volkswagens were at the shop getting
this and that replaced while I my 'unreliable' american car just works.

> The fact that they are still using the same basic engine, designed
> back in the early 70's, for both gasoline and Diesel engines speaks to
> the basic goodness of the design.

My car still uses a basic engine design from the 50s. Thats even better than
VW can do...

>> I can't say I like the Corolla's handling much. Of course if you love
>> understeer you may think differently. Before you rip my head off, I don't
>> like the handling of any FWD sedan much.

> I'm not nuts about it either, and I actually agree with you. That said
> I'd rather have a Corolla than a FWD GM sedan.

I wouldn't want either.

>> Chevrolet is the best selling passenger car brand in America. GM has the
>> largest market share of any manufacturer in the US. To put it quite
>> bluntly, even in 2004 the numbers of Toyota (12.2%), Honda (8.2%) and
>> Nissan (5.8%) together don't reach GM's market share (27.3%) even though
>> SUV sales were in a slump.
>>
>> To claim that 'nobody buys GM' is plain stupid.
>>

> A lot *fewer* people have been buying GM recently than has been the
> case in the past, that's a fact.

'A lot fewer' and 'nobody' are two entirely different things, especially
when you are bigger than three of the largest foreign competitors together.
And with the 'employee pricing' promotion people are buying GM in record
numbers even though the prices are not lower than they were with the
promotions before that, so ...

Chris