Old May 29th 04, 03:43 PM
Ovalking

In article > Christoph Bollig,
writes:
>One more question: How compatible are they over the years? Can I get
>one from a younger car and still put it in, or is this asking for
>trouble?

The bombs on my two UK Avants are slightly different.

[1] is an early 1988 (pre-revision) 100 CD Auto model with self-levelling
suspension.
[2] is a late 1988 (post-revision) 100 base model with std. suspension
(and subject of my 'Brakes hissing' thread).

On [1] the bomb is part no. 857 612 061B, [2] is now stored elsewhere so
can't check. [1] has an extra port for the suspension (not present on
[2]) and the smaller end is a round shape, while it is a squarer shape on
[2]. Apart from that the fittings appear to be in the same places
although I suspect the banjo connections may be different - in the same
way they are on the pump. i.e. latter models used o-rings, earlier models
copper washes. You can use a new style pump with old style banjos but not
vice-versa, so I suspect the same may apply to the bomb.
[1] gives me about 15 assisted brake presses, [2] gives 0!

Gary