Old July 22nd 05, 02:45 PM
Comboverfish

> There was noticeable oil all around the valve cover gasket, but it
> wasn't bad enough to drip on the floor to leave a puddle. It was
> strange, that after it was replaced, that I would have a bigger
> problem. Maybe I shouldn't have used
> a aftermarket gasket.
>
> Thanks for the answer. I'm gonna go buy a Genuine Honda gasket and
> hopefully
> that will solve the puddle problem.

The aftermarket gaskets I have seen for most Honda valve covers seem to
be the same quality, maybe even the same part as OE. I think you
pinched the rubber off somewhere, most likely on either end near the
semicircle shaped cam cap areas. Luckily, there are built in rubber
tabs that make verifying proper installation fairly easy. Look around
the base of the cover for flat rubber tabs coming out of the gasket.
If any of them are twisted or folded inward, then you need a new
gasket. Make sure the rubber is pressed firmly into the groove all the
way around and use sealer at the bases of each cam cap upon
installation. You can place the cover on the ground and stand on it to
seat the gasket better.

Toyota MDT in MO