Old June 15th 06, 07:43 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default Reports on Use of Ethanol in C5's

"Salvatore Giomarra" > wrote in message
> Dad wrote:
>> Never satisfied with my limited knowledge I did a little search,
>> changed some of my thinking and reinforced allot more.
>>
>> http://www.iowacorn.org/ethanol/ethanol_3b.html

> What thinking changed, and what was reinforced? I would love to
> see USA become less dependant on muslim totalitarian countries for
> fuel. I am excited about ethanol and about alternate power
> sources. Check out this site: http://www.wind-power.com

That ethanol is actually an octane boost of 3 points and the rest is
what I already believed. Certainly not the 30% mileage drop of some
thinking nor the filter problems of the 70s. I did have to rebuild the
carburetor in my '65 Mustang to get it to run well.

a.. A 10% ethanol-blended fuel is warranted for use by ALL auto
manufacturers marketing vehicles in the U.S.

b.. Many auto manufacturers, including General Motors and Chrysler,
recommend the use of oxygenated fuels, such as ethanol, in their
vehicles.

c.. Ethanol guards against gas line freeze by absorbing moisture
that may get in the tank during cold weather.

d.. Ethanol is a proven octane enhancer and replacement for lead and
other toxic compounds in gasoline.

e.. The blending of 10% ethanol boosts the octane rating of gasoline
by an average of three points.

f.. Nationally, since 1978, ethanol has provided motorists with more
than 2 trillion road miles of satisfactory performance.

g.. Ethanol-blended fuels are approved for use in small engines
too -- including outboard motors, snowmobiles, lawn mowers,
motorcycles, and chain saws. All small-engine manufacturers that have
tested a 10% ethanol blend have approved its use.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51