Old June 15th 06, 03:11 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default Reports on Use of Ethanol in C5's

"Dale" > wrote in message
> On or about Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:42:43 GMT, aRKay
> >
> wrote or did cause to be written:
>>Anyone used Ethanol in a C5?

> It is hard to find anything other than 10% ethanol in the Midwest
> due
> to "corporate welfare" providing large tax subsidies. For example,
> in
> Illinois adding 10% ethanol allows the companies to deduct about 55
> cents/gallon in taxes. So it is rare to find gas that doesn't have
> 10%
> ethanol.

I'd sure like to read more about that, do you have a site that would
give some more facts about the tax breaks? This is just a guess but
there may be that much tacked onto a gallon for kick back and dictator
bribes.

> Ethanol has less energy per gallon than gasoline so expect a
> decrease
> in mileage. It will also do an excellent job of cleaning your fuel
> system. If you haven't been using it regularly expect to need to
> replace your fuel filter within a hundred miles after your first
> tank.

Didn't see that happen on my '78 or my '72 when I started using
gasoline with ethanol. I'll sure be on guard when I fire up the '50
this next week.

> But if you use it in the winter you will never have a fuel line
> freeze
> up. And it will remove every drop of condensation in your tank. I
> always make sure the tank is full of ethanol when storing for the
> winter.

Quick question, how do you get condensation in a closed loop fuel
system? Isn't the void air still drawn in through a moisture trap they
started using in the late '70s?

> Personally I would gladly pay a 10% premium (30 cents/gallon extra)
> NOT to have ethanol because my mileage suffers almost that much with
> it. When I'm traveling and can get a tank of "real" gas, it seems to
> make a noticeable difference in performance also. On the other hand,
> haven't had a fuel line problem in many years because it does keep
> the
> system clean.

Both the C5 and my C6 average 28/32 MPG and how I drive it makes more
difference than the fuel with ethanol. Yet you say they should drop to
20/26 MPG? The only time I've ever seen that was at the track,
although it ran about there before it was broke in.

> It won't hurt the car if you use it regularly. You'll just get lower
> mileage and less performance. Just make sure you have a spare fuel
> filter and the tools to change one on the side of the road when you
> first start using it.

Oops there Kemosahbee, the fuel filter on the late C5s and the C6 and
a number of GM cars are on the fuel pump and that's inside the gas
tank. Not really a wrench job as they are stab-loc fittings prior to
that and I'll not drop a fuel tank beside the road. You could wrench
one on the early C5s but you need to drop the left exhaust pipe also.

Personally I look forward to the day to arrive that the technology is
in place to allow us to run 100% ethanol. I'd much rather deal with
our farmers than I do the mid-east.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51