Old June 15th 06, 01:28 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default Reports on Use of Ethanol in C5's

On or about Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:42:43 GMT, aRKay >
wrote or did cause to be written:
>Anyone used Ethanol in a C5?

It is hard to find anything other than 10% ethanol in the Midwest due
to "corporate welfare" providing large tax subsidies. For example, in
Illinois adding 10% ethanol allows the companies to deduct about 55
cents/gallon in taxes. So it is rare to find gas that doesn't have 10%
ethanol.

Ethanol has less energy per gallon than gasoline so expect a decrease
in mileage. It will also do an excellent job of cleaning your fuel
system. If you haven't been using it regularly expect to need to
replace your fuel filter within a hundred miles after your first tank.

But if you use it in the winter you will never have a fuel line freeze
up. And it will remove every drop of condensation in your tank. I
always make sure the tank is full of ethanol when storing for the
winter.

Personally I would gladly pay a 10% premium (30 cents/gallon extra)
NOT to have ethanol because my mileage suffers almost that much with
it. When I'm traveling and can get a tank of "real" gas, it seems to
make a noticeable difference in performance also. On the other hand, I
haven't had a fuel line problem in many years because it does keep the
system clean.

It won't hurt the car if you use it regularly. You'll just get lower
mileage and less performance. Just make sure you have a spare fuel
filter and the tools to change one on the side of the road when you
first start using it.