Old July 18th 05, 11:35 PM
JRE

JB wrote:

> wrote in message
roups.com...

>>Howdy,
>>
>> My dealer is recommending that I replace the front lower control arm
>>bushings on my 1999 323i. My BMW has about 57,000 miles on it, and the
>>quote for replacing them is around $550.00. Is this a reasonable
>>price? Do I really needs these replaced based on the amount of miles
>>that I have on the car?

Assuming an E46, he

This is an outrageous price for lower control arm bushings, which take
about 5 minutes each to replace and cost about USD100 in parts. It's a
very reasonable price for replacing both lower control arms, which are
about USD400 the pair and a pain in the neck (and elsewhere) to replace
because the internal hex socket at the top of the inner ball joint shaft
is difficult to reach and will be partly filled with rust, making it
difficult to remove. It's an especially reasonable price for both
control arms and the bushings. (I normally do my own work but had
someone offered USD550 for both arms and the rear bushings I'd have
taken them up on it.)

From the price, I suspect that they really meant replacing the lower
control arms. If they really meant just the bushings, run in the other
direction at best speed. ;-)

>It's a bit of a low mileage for new bushes unless you drive like an animal.
>Even so, the bushes are only £12-£18 each and allowing 30mins for pressing
>the old ones out and new ones in $550 seems outrageous.
>Complete new arms are only about £50ea complete.
>Find a new dealer.

These are forged aluminum arms with unreplaceable pressed-in ball
joints. The bushings mount separately near the junction of firewall and
floor.