Old August 6th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default 1994 miata stalled and now won't start

nano-miata wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 1994 miata. Back in March I started to have a few problems.
> I noticed that the tachometer stopped working and then on the way home
> one night the car just died and rolled to a stop. Since I have
> ~120,000 miles (~60,000 since the last timing belt change), I figured
> that the two problems were unrelated and that the timing belt broke.
> After the car died, the electrical system seemed to be working (stereo,
> lights, starter) but the car just wouldn't start.
>
> Well, today (8/5/2006) I found time to start working on my miata. The
> timing belt is intact, but before I replace it (and the water pump, cam
> seals, thermostat etc.), I thought I should ask the group if anyone has
> had a similar problem. Could the stall be an electrical problem (fuse,
> computer) or perhaps the timing belt slipped? I have "Rod's 1.8 Liter
> Miata 'Shop manual'" and I have found the nice web-pages that show how
> to replace the timing belt etc.
>
> I haven't worked on cars for > 20 years and I could use some advice.
> I'd hate to get stuck in a loop trying to figure out if the timing belt
> was installed incorrectly or whether the initial stall is due to
> something else.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Joseph

If the timing belt was installed incorrectly, you would have noticed it
long before 60K miles.

If your lights, stereo, etc. were not working, I would guess that a
broken alternator was a likely problem, but that obviously would have
drained your battery to no charge. It sounds like your battery has a
very good charge since it is still running your accessories after
sitting since March.
Since the car died while running that probably rules out the ignition
and definitely nixes the starter as a problem.

With that, my guess would be a fuel delivery problem or an electrical
problem such as a defective/broken ECU.
There are a lot of other possible reasons as well, and a lot of people
here with far more knowledge than myself, so you should be able to get
pointed in the right direction.

You may as well check the fuses, especially the main protection fuse
that blows if jumper cables are ever reversed on the battery.
It is a 30 amp, iirc. The fuses are very easy to access on a 1994 model.

Are you getting any spark at all when you crank the ignition, and is the
engine making any attempt to turn over?

Pat