Old September 26th 04, 06:58 PM
Paul Rooney

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:43:56 -0700, "Generic" >
wrote:

>"Paul Rooney" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 09:51:44 -0700, "Generic" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"Paul Rooney" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >Tires are generally safe on clear roads but the wear, noise and handling

>can
>> >be worse than a regular street tire. The mud & snow type can be

>incredibly
>> >loud vs. a street tire. It depends on the particular tire.

>> Thanks. What kind of conditions would chains be able to cope with, do
>> you know?

>The major use for tire chains is on 2wd vehicles in ice and not too deep
>snow on paved roads. They give a 2wd the ability to move when it would
>otherwise spin its wheels or slide off the road. They'd probably help
>somewhat off road, in mud for example, but in practice the people who go far
>off road get a specialized 4wd vehicle.]
>
>[Tire chains are thoroughly miserable to use. Traditionally you must lay
>them out then drive on top, and attach clips from behind dirty and wet
>wheels. In the middle of bad weather on the side of a road. Then you have
>to drive a few feet and tighten them or they'll fall off. Then you must go
>25mph or less to avoid tire damage, and they can scratch wheels or slap
>against the bodywork. When you finish the wet and dirty chains must be
>stored somewhere. Some systems have improved on this routine a bit, but
>professional chain installation is big business during ski season in places
>like Lake Tahoe.]
>
>-John

Thanks. I'm thinking of situations when, for example, you park up at
the top of a mountain pass (I'm in England, by the way) and go on a
day's walk, only to find the weather turns bad and there's fairly deep
snow by the time you get back to the car. I wonder whether chains
would get me out of such a situation.
There are some easy-fit chains available on the internet, though I
don't know how easy they really are to fit in a blizzard!

--

Paul

(Watch this space)