Old July 19th 05, 04:48 PM
Roy

"C. E. White" > wrote in message
news:OdQCe.184979$xm3.29392@attbi_s21...

> "Roy" <crawroy @ nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> >
> > "C. E. White" > wrote in message

Simply

> >> Care to share the "proof." All the studies I've seen that show a

safety
> >> advantage were in far northern counties (like Finland, Norway, Sweden)
> >> and
> >> even then they were often flawed. Data from more southernly climates is

> > not
> >> conclusive. Since GM (and some others) have been installing DRLs on

cars
> > in
> >> the US for sometime while Ford, Chrysler, and others have not, it

should
> > be
> >> possible to collect good data for US conditions (DRLs vs no DRLs). I

have
> >> not seem a complete study that does this. But maybe you have.
> >>
> >> http://www.iihs.org/safety_facts/qanda/drl.htm - old data (nothing as

new

http://www.autointell-news.com/News-...r-29-03-p7.htm
> >> (this is a GM study. They only included crashes in the study where DRLs
> >> might be beneficial. They ignored the possibility that other sorts of
> >> accidents might be increased as a result of DRLs.

> > How could having lights on in the daytime cause an accident? I'm not
> > trying
> > to be a smartass but I can't concieve of any situation where a low
> > intesity
> > light during daylight hours could cause an accident.

> Distractions. Your eyes are drawn towards the DRLs and away from other
> items. They also tend to hide motorcycles. Glare. Inconsistent
> implementation. Yada, Yada, Yada. Look through the other references,
> particualrly the ones form the anti-DRL sites. The NHTSA reference (last
> one) actaully showed an 8% INCREASE in some types of accidents related to
> DRLs (like the decreases associated with DRLs, this increase was not
> considerdd statistically significant). I have not seen a single study that
> was based on US condiutions that showed DRL provided a significant

positive
> benefit. If there is one, I'd like to see it. I am tiresd of being saddled
> with useless "safety devices" (ABS) or dangerous "safety devices" (air

bags)
> becasue Joan Claybrook, Clarence Ditlow and their ilk whine aboiut
> automotove safety. If road safety is the true goal, then there are plenty

of
> better ways to spend the "safety dollar" than some of the "safety devices"
> promoted by self appointed safety experts. What relly tees me off is that
> even when safety devices can be shown to be of dubious value ( air bags,
> high mounted brake lights), the requirements for these devices are not
> removed. I particualrly hate air bags since for people who atually use

seat
> belts, they are at best marginally useful and at worst dangerous (not to
> mention expensive).
>
> Ed

"Distractions" If you aren't any smarter than a fish (attention drawn solely
to shiny objects) or if you have tunnel vision then you have no business
behind the wheel of a car.
As far as I know this isn't a US only group. Here in Canada where the sun
spends a lot of the winter at a low angle I see a big advantage to DRLs.
As for people driving at night with no headlight, people did that before
DRLs and they will continue to do it as long as there is a switch for them.
I'll admit I did it once when I was in high school, out with my friend on a
well lit street downtown, a little distracted. I only went about half a
block before a nice police officer pulled up beside me and reminded me to
turn em on. :-)
Good talking to ya.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd...pages/TRD.html