Old July 18th 05, 03:13 AM
Matt B.

"Harry" > wrote in message
> "Matt B." > wrote
>
>> The 5 in the Jetta and NB is not a 'V'. it's an inline 5.

> Not to say it is the same size, but VW has had an inline 5 as way back as
> 1985 (?) in the Quantum and Quantum Syncro, sedan and wagon.

It first appeared around 1983 in the Quantum GL5 sedan. It basically was an
Audi unit because the Quantum (B2 Passat) was build on the Audi 80/4000
platform. It was a 2.2L unit if memory serves me correctly.

VW also fitted the Eurovan witha 2.5L 5-cylinder engine that was
Audi-derived but wasn't found (the exact same engine anyway) in any Audi
product.

And the current 2.5L in the Jetta is also a 2.5 unit. Definitely a
different head than the Eurovan engine. Not sure about the block though.