Old June 29th 05, 12:14 AM
hachiroku

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:04:14 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> hachiroku wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:05:52 +0000, Ajanta wrote:
>>
>> > Daniel > wrote:
>> >
>> > : Gen. III, timing belt replacement interval: 60,000 miles. If you change
>> > : them at the recommended interval, they don't break.
>> > : Did my own work.
>> > : Found several errors and damagae inflicted by prior mechanics.
>> > : Copy of my own records follows: (by the way, I learned to do this by
>> > : reading online groups and the service manuals. When I first purchased
>> > : the car, didn't even know how to change the air filter element)
>> >
>> > I am inspired to try, at least for small things: I am an apartment
>> > dweller, there is no convenient place to store tools or do work.
>> >
>> > I'll start with air filters and spark plugs. They are due. That will
>> > take care of tune up. :-)
>> >
>> > Which manual do you recommend, Hays or Chilton? (98 Camry)

>> Both. They both have strong and weak points. My experience is that a weak
>> point in one is covered better in the other.

> Ditto. One or the other is better for each model, but you don't know which
> until you buy both of them, so you might as well buy them both at once.
>
> I haven't seen Clymer manuals for a long time. Anybody know if they're still
> around?

I haven't either!! I used to use them to rebuild motorcycles. I'd have a
Clymer's and the Yamaha manual, and, like I mentioned before, one covered
better what the other didn't. And I started COLD; I had very little
mechanical training (I was an electronics technician)and NO Motorcycle
experience at all. The Clymer's were really pretty good, I had one for an
'80 Corolla and it was good.