Old October 17th 04, 03:35 AM

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:06:53 -0400, "maxpower" >
wrote:

>you dont specify what engine, but if i was to guess i would say the 3.3 and
>you dont specify the mileage, once again i would guess at least 60k and then
>i would guess again and bet you that the starter contacts are bad,,replace
>the starter
>"sandra312" > wrote in message
alkaboutautos.com...
>> Our '96 Voyager has an inconsistent starting problem. When the key is
>> turned, all you hear is a "click." The only way to start the van is to
>> jiggle the gear shift repeatedly, or sometimes try to start while in
>> neutral. Was told that this may be a problem with the neutral safety
>> switch or some such creature. Can we try to fix this ourselves?

Given the symptoms, I'd be starting with the Nuetral Safety switch. If
it was the starter contacts, wiggling the shifter or using nuetral
would have no effect.
High resistance in the switch will often allow a solenoid to pull in
ALMOST far enough to crank the engine.
Chrysler used to get around this problem by using both a starter
relay and an integrated starter solenoid - so the starter switch only
had to handle the trip currrent of the relay. I've installed lots of
Chryco starter relays on vehicles as varied as Austins, Toyotas, and
Volkswagens to solve similar problems .

Usual scenario is the vehicle won't crank when warm - but
occaisionally they also misbehave hot.

Definitive test is voltmeter between solenoid control terminal and
ground. If less than battery voltage when in the crank position and
not cranking, suspect the switch.